Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Flax Seed Challenge...

Over the holidays, my sister-in-law Kathi, and I were chatting about some of our cooking and nutrition challenges.  Somehow we got onto the topic of flax seed.

golden flax seed
For those of us unfamiliar with flax seed, they do have a startling number of health benefits!  Kathi apparently was given some by a friend, but hasn't been able to try it yet.  I've never bought it, but having heard some about it, I thought it might be a good try.  I've heard that some of the organicy, so-called 'crunchy' Moms use flax seed all the time in many different ways.

It is really good for you, and after pricing it, I've found that it's not out of this world expensive, so can we incorporate it into our diets?  Can we afford it on a regular basis?  Will the hubby and kids like it or even be able to tell?  Will we notice any health benefits (such as cancer fighting, cholesterol lowering, weight-loss miracles)?  I don't know, but I've decided to give it a try.  I'm 'making' Kathi try, too, for additional input, and since she already has it at home and hasn't tried it yet.  

I'll be posting occasionally about my flax seed challenge.  I'll be pricing it, reviewing the health benefits, thinking through any necessary frugal considerations, and I'll let you know what we think of it overall.  Let's start off this year at least giving this super food a chance, shall we?

5 comments:

  1. I might try it - sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure to store it in the freezer it will last longer. It can go rancid if it's not stored properly. It was the one thing that helped our youngest son with some health problems. We used the ground up stuff in his food. Put it in your yogurt everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We use flax seed/flax meal a lot--in breads, in smoothies, even as a salad topper. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep a bag of the ground flax seed in my freezer all the time. I add it a few tablespoons to smoothies, along with the flour to baking recipes, or anything else that it might not be detected in. (My hubby has a THING for whole grains and can tell if I try to sneak them in!)I'll be interested to know what you try it in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my. Tonight was the perfect chance to try it out (spaghetti sauce). I completely forgot. Oh well. I'll chalk it up to start of the school semester flakiness. Next time...

    ReplyDelete