Monday, January 9, 2012

Creative Leftovers...Smoky Potato and Corn Chowder

Okay, one of my favorite things to do is find creative ways to use up those leftovers cluttering up your refrigerator.  If I can make something yummy and new, no one minds eating leftovers.  Here was my most recent challenge which worked out beautifully.

Leftovers: Mashed potatoes, corn, some limp celery, Polish Sausage.

My solution: Make soup using my method found here.

In a stock pot, saute 3 carrots, 2 stalks celery, and 1/2 onion in a little oil.  Add salt, pepper, and a little parsley. When tender, add 2 cloves smashed garlic.  Dice up the 1/2 link Polish Sausage pretty small and cook with the vegetables until brown.

Add in 3 cups chicken broth (made with chicken base and water), mashed potatoes (there was quite a bit leftover...maybe 3 cups?).  Bring to a boil, then simmer for about an hour.

Add in the corn and heat through.  Adjust seasoning...I need a little extra salt, and a fair amount of pepper.  Then whip around my immersion blender a little just to make it creamy.

Mmmm...it was fantastic. The sausage added a hint of smokiness that really flavored the soup well. I garnished it with sour cream and a little cheddar cheese on top.  It was so popular that the kids and I each had seconds and didn't save any for my hubby!  You snooze, you lose!  (Actually, he wasn't hungry, so he was having self control, but we showed no mercy anyway.)

1 comment:

  1. I would have never thought to put mashed potatoes into soup! This is a revolutionary idea for me. What was the texture like?

    ReplyDelete