Friday, December 2, 2011

Cranberry-Apple Pork Chops

Here's the first of our apple recipes!  If you have any you'd like to contribute, send them to me at crazycreativemag@gmail.com.

I was tinkering around the other night trying to add a little pizzazz to our dinner when I came up with this variation for the pork chops I had out on my counter.  It ended up being perfectly wonderful.

Just a note, I kind of like a little pop of cranberry tartness, but if you'd prefer yours a little sweeter, add more honey, or use dried cranberries, which are already sweetened.  This would be a great way to use up a little leftover cranberry relish or sauce from Thanksgiving!

Cranberry-Apple Pork Chops


6 boneless pork loin chops
salt and pepper
3 sweet apples, such as Gala or Fuji
1/2 cup fresh whole cranberries
1/2 cup, 1 Tbs. dark honey, divided
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
5 Tbs. butter or margarine, divided
1 Tbs. blackberry preserves
1/2 cup apple juice or cider
additional 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Peel and slice apples and spread out in a baking dish.  Sprinkle cranberries over apples.  Drizzle 1 Tbs. honey over fruit, followed by 1/2 tsp. cinnamon.  Cut 2 Tbs. butter into small cubes, and add evenly over fruit.  Bake 40-50 minutes, stirring halfway through.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium heat, melt together 1/2 cup honey, remaining 3 Tbs. butter, preserves, juice, and additional cinnamon.   Heat to boiling, then simmer without a lid until sauce begins to thicken slightly.

While sauce is simmering, salt and pepper pork chops and heat griddle to 325 degrees.  Cook pork chops, a few minutes per side, being careful not to overcook.  For more detailed instructions, see my recipe here.  Rest  pork chops, covered 5 minutes.

To serve, place pork chops on a platter.  Top with fruit and drizzle with some sauce.  Keep additional sauce handy for those with a sweet tooth!

2 comments:

  1. I might have to try this. I have 3 pork chops sitting in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pork chops the way I learned to cook them from you. I'll have to try this, also. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete