Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Best Ever Potato Soup

Here is a soup recipe that I snitched from my Mom-in-law's stash.  You know, with as many of her recipes as I post, I should declare her an official contributor.

"Mom, you're an official contributor!"

There, I feel better.  Anyway, here is her recipe for potato soup.  Just a head's up...it's actually not the most frugal of soups, but oh my, is it good.  My next couple of posts will highlight how to make soups on the major cheap, so stay tuned!

Best Ever Potato Soup


6 bacon strips, diced
2 cups cubed, peeled potatoes
1 can (14 1/2 oz) chicken broth
1 small carrot, grated
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 Tbs. parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. each celery seed, salt, pepper
3 Tbs. flour
3 cups milk
8 oz cubed Velveeta
2 green onions, thinly sliced (optional)

In large pan, cook bacon until crisp; drain.  Add potatoes, broth, carrots, chopped onion, parsley, celery seed, salt, and pepper.  Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender (about 15 minutes).  Combine flour and milk until smooth; add to soup.  Bring to a boil; boil and stir 2 minutes.  Add cheese; stir until cheese is melted and soup is heated through.  Garnish with green onions, if desired.

1 comment:

  1. My mom makes one very similar to this, but with cream cheese instead. This would be just as yummy. We'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete