Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Here's a submission from a reader and friend.  This one's posted by Cindy from dressesnmesses.com, who has great tips on the running of your household, as well as keeping the right spirit of loving service in your family.  Check out her blog when you're done reading the recipe!

Hey there!

This isn't my own recipe--but it is my absolute favorite soup I've ever made! It is a Rachael Ray recipe. It has alot of ingredients, and looks intimidating at first, but if you make a couple of adjustments it really is a great tasting, healthy soup. Just use a box of frozen corn instead of grilling your own, and chop up the bell peppers (calls for red, but I've used every color with the same results) raw instead of grilling those. Since I've never grilled them, then I don't know if it affects the taste--we like it the easy way. Also, I didn't have zucchini the first few times I made this so I just shredded a carrot or two. Having tried it now both ways, we don't tell much of a difference. To me, the can chipotle peppers are the key ingredient--and just a little goes a long way! I buy the little can and use only 2 or 3 peppers out of it. I divide up the leftovers in small baby food jars and freeze for the next time I make the soup. (They cost about $1.80, but I get enough out of one can for about 4 pots of soup.)

Usually I put the veggies, chicken and spices in a skillet on Saturday night, cook them through. Add the tomatoes and sauce just to heat them up, then pour it all into the crock pot with the chicken stock. The house smells amazing on Sunday morning, and we're excited to get home from church for lunch that afternoon! Feeds our family of 6 once, then I always leftovers for lunches during the week.

Anyway, enough about me...here's the recipe!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/why-the-chicken-crossed-the-road-santa-fe-tastic-tortilla-soup-recipe/index.html

:) Cindy

2 comments:

  1. This is one of the few soups that Andy is actually happy with! I'll be making this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a real treat. Thanks for sharing, Cindy.

    ReplyDelete