Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Another Cheap Protein...But Will It Work For Us?

I was browsing around Trader Joe's the other day when I saw something that shocked me.  I found a cheap protein I had never thought about before.  They had all manner of Tofu for $1.50 per package, which is supposed to be the equivalent of 5 servings of protein.  The price at Meijer was a little higher at $2.00.  I had always assumed that those kinds of  'healthy' foods would be completely out of my budget so I have never even thought about using them, but $2 or less for a full meal's worth of protein? Hmmm...

So, I've been trying to decide if I'm daring enough to attempt using some.  First of all, I know nothing about actually cooking tofu. I do know that it's used a lot in Asian cuisine (a field I'm still trying to get the hang of).  I've seem some chefs use it marinated in teriyaki, then grilling it like a piece of fish or something, but I don't think that will work for us...I'll have to find a way to hide it somehow or a certain vegetable-suspicious member of my family won't touch it.  I'm thinking of dicing some firm tofu up and pitching it into a stir-fry instead of some meat.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?  It's so good for you and it's actually very affordable...I think I'll give it a whirl.  If I figure out a good use for it, I will by all means post a follow-up.  Here's to being daring!

1 comment:

  1. I'll be waiting on pins and needles for you to post your findings!

    ReplyDelete