Friday, August 5, 2011

Sweet Potato Oven Fries

Sweet potatoes are not really one of my favorite foods, but they are so so so good for you, I've been trying to find ways to use them.  Then I went to the store and found a 3 pound bag of sweet potatoes for a dollar.  It was all the extra motivation I needed to give it a shot.  At my wonderful in-law's house we had sweet potato fries, which I really liked, so here is my cheapie version that is actually really wonderful!

Sweet Potato Oven Fries

sweet potatoes (about one per serving needed)
canola oil
salt
pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into french fry shape.  (We cut in half horizontally, then half  each piece horizontally again, then cut into strips...it's about the size of regular fries.)  Put fries in a bowl and season lightly with salt and pepper.  Drizzle enough oil to just coat and toss the fries thoroughly.

Put a metal cooling rack on a cookie sheet.  Spread the fries on the cooling rack in a single layer.  Bake for around 20 minutes.  Oven temperatures vary, so check after fifteen minutes, then every five minutes until you get the desired crispness.  You could add a little nutmeg or cinnamon with the seasoning, if desired.  We kind of like them a little better with more of a savory take.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try this, what a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sweet potato fries! It's a staple at our house. I like to add a little spice to mine sometimes—a little cayenne or chili powder. Mmm. I'm hungry now.

    ReplyDelete