Friday, August 12, 2011

Repurposing...salad dressing

I had the most amazing sandwich for lunch yesterday.  I had heated, leftover corned beef, sliced with smoked provolone on rye bread.  I added German mustard and a small slathering of Hidden Valley Ranch Hickory Bacon and onion salad dressing.  Salad dressing?  Yes! And it was the perfect touch.

To be perfectly honest, I bought that salad dressing pretty cheaply (I think for 50 or 75 cents).  I was excited by the brand name and the deal, then I tried it.  On salad and veggies, it was way too potent...it almost brought tears to my eyes!  Not even the kids liked it, and they're pretty flexible. 

Sometimes a product will just not work out the way you hope.  When that happens, it's time to get creative, so you don't completely waste the money.  Try using it for something else.  The Hickory bacon salad dressing is fantastic in a savory sandwich or wrap.  I've  also had some Asian Ginger salad dressing that had way too much kick for salad, but it makes a fantastic marinade for chicken or seasoning in fried rice.  Mix it up a little and try to repurpose!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I've had the same reaction to a southwerstern ranch that was way too strong for salad. It did make a great spread on cheese quesidillas, though. I hadn't thought to try other dressing on other things. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love using dressing on my sandwiches too! :)

    ReplyDelete