Friday, July 22, 2011

Frugal French Toast

Hey, it's Christine from thegoodthepureandthelovley.blogspot.com here.  I'm sitting here contemplating one of my favorite breakfasts.  I'm a sucker for a sweet breakfast, and this one has won it's way into my heart in part because it is dirt cheap.  The fact that it tastes great helps, too! 

The reason that it is dirt cheap is because I make it on Wednesday.  Why Wednesday?  Because I shop for the bread on Tuesday, of course.   You're still wondering?  Well, last week's bread is marked down on managers' special on Tuesday at my local store.  I just stop by, pick up a few cheap loaves and make Frugal French Toast the next day.  Here's how to go about it.

You Need
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
a sprinkle of cinnamon
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
margarine, or cooking oil to coat pan
Nonstick skillet or griddle
5 or 6 slices (old) bread

Butter, Powdered Sugar, and Syrup (optional, but really, why the fuss if you're not going all out?)

Beat together the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and granulated sugar.  Dip bread into egg mixture, coating both sides.  Place in a hot skillet or on a heated griddle.  (I set my griddle to about 325 degrees.)  Heat for 2 or 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. 

Serve with a pat of butter or margarine, a spinkle of powdered sugar and a drizzle of syrup.  My kids go crazy for this breakfast.  The pretty show of sugar and syrup lets me trick their cute little minds (and mine) into thinking there is more sugar and syrup than there actually is on those slices.

If you love fast freezer meals like I do, cook more than you'll use.  I cook a whole loaf at a time.  Then I place enough pieces for a meal in a one plastic bag.  When the kids want French toast, I pull out the bag and microwave for 15-30 seconds to loosen the pieces.  Then I put the individual pieces in the toaster and toast until they are hot and crispy.  They taste just as good as the first time around!

Have a lovely day!
~ Christine

3 comments:

  1. I'm trying this this week. Once for dinner, because my hubby likes French toast, then again for breakfast whenever we want to. Thanks for the great idea...I think the toaster thing is so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how the toaster really crisps it up and makes it new all over again. I'm actually making this today, even though it's Friday! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, if your French Toast cooks too fast, and becomes brown/black before it turns golden, turn down the heat a little. Just a note from experience.

    PS - Confession from the Kitchen
    My hubby once teasingly commented as he walked in the door from work, "Dinner must be ready, the front door and windows are open to air out the smoke!"
    Gotta love a teasing husband (I don't hold it against him . . . much).

    ReplyDelete