Friday, July 8, 2011

Chicken Fried Rice

I had a bit of leftover cooked chicken in the refrigerator last night.  I have to admit, it wasn't enough to really make it work for a normal entree, and yet I didn't want to waste it.  Here's what  I did...I made chicken fried rice.  All you need here is the method, then you can swap out whatever you need to use up from your refrigerator.

First, cook and cool some rice.

Shred your meat.  I had five drumsticks worth, which I cut into small pieces, then doused with some leftover Asian salad dressing.  You don't have to do that, I just figured, why not?

Heat your wok or large non-stick pan with a few tablespoons of oil.  Sesame oil would be awesome, but I opted for canola.  It's what I had on hand, and it has a high smoke point.  You want that wok fairly hot.

Throw in some chopped vegetables and cook until crisp-tender.  We used carrots, celery, and onions.  I wish I had used some edamame...that would have been awesome, but we didn't.

When the veggies are cooked, if you have any fresh ginger or garlic, mince it up and pitch it in, but be careful not to overdo it.

Add in your cooled rice.  Once it warms up, the clumps will come out.  Grab some soy sauce or teriyaki sauce and splash it on a little at a time.  Keep stirring until the rice is brown.  Make sure you taste it every now and then to make sure the salt isn't too killer strong.  It will mellow out a little as the rice absorbs, but be careful. If it's tasting salty enough, but you need more liquid, add in a little water instead.  Also...if you didn't have fresh garlic, now is the time to throw on garlic powder, but please not garlic salt! 

When the rice has absorbed the desired amount of liquid, add in the cooked chicken.  Stir to incorporate and warm through.  Let it cook for an additional minute or two.  If you really want to, you can beat a couple eggs and add them in, stirring until they're cooked.  I chose not to.  It doesn't seem to add a whole lot to me, and after all, eggs are almost twice the cost they were a year ago.  Sigh...

Cut up some scallions, if you feel like it and add it to the top.  You're done.  This reheats well, and would freeze well in individual portions, too.  A whole meal out of just a little bit of chicken!

1 comment:

  1. I've never made fried rice. You're tips are really helping me in the kitchen. Your bean basics have really helped me. Now I'll be using this too!

    ReplyDelete