Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Turkey Chili

I have a confession to make.  Yes, I live here in the Cincinnati area, but I really don't like Cinci-style chili.  To me, a chili should be savory and hearty and beany, but definitely not sweet.  It's one of my dark, dark secrets living here in chili parlor central.  By the way, does anyone not from Cincinnati even know what a chili parlor is?  I'm sure I've never heard of it before moving here.

So, anyway, here is our stand-by chili recipe.  It's not hot, but you could certainly amp it up with some hot sauce, or by adding in some hotter fresh chilis with the onion.  We always use ground turkey with ours and whatever beans we happen to have on hand.  I know this is a little out of season, too, but my Mom lost the recipe and I'm too lazy to mail it!

Turkey Chili

2 Tbs. canola oil or cooking spray
1 lb. ground beef or turkey
1/2 cup chopped green or red pepper or hot peppers to taste
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups canned tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
1 can tomato soup
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 Tbs. chili powder
1 clove garlic, minced or 1 tsp. powder
1 tsp. salt
1 can kidney beans, black beans, or red beans, undrained
     OR 1 1/4 cups cooked beans with 1 cup cooking liquid

Brown the meat, peppers, and onion in the oil or cooking spray.  Add the tomatoes, soup, paprika, and chili powder.  Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour (or you can pop it in the crock pot at this point).  Add in the garlic, salt and beans with liquid.  Heat thoroughly.  Great with cheese on top.  My kids love to add a bit of sweet corn to it, too, but that's just a family quirk, I think. 

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm . . . chili simmering on the stove. Reminds me of . . . winter!!!! It's one of our very favorite treats, and whenever I make chili, it is meaty and beefy. We do occasionally frequent the "chili parlor" type restaurant for that "sweet chili", but when we make it, this is the stuff.

    ReplyDelete