Monday, June 6, 2011

Roasted Beets

I have a soft spot for beets.  It's part of my Polish heritage, I think.  My hubby doesn't.  In fact, when I made them last night, he told this horrifying story of from his childhood about not getting to swim until he finished his beet.  He almost gagged...it was traumatizing!  That's okay.  That means there's more left for me.  I always thought fresh beets would be tricky to cook for some reason.  Roasting them is easy, and makes them absolutely divine!  Sigh...I could eat these every day.

Roasted Beets

3 medium beets
salt
pepper
1 to 2 Tbs. canola or vegetable oil
1 sprig of rosemary, optional

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Peel the beets.  Be careful, they will bleed a little!  Cut each beet into 6-8 chunks.  Mine were roughly the size of orange segments.  Put them in a bowl and add salt, pepper, and oil.  Toss to coat each piece.  Lay a piece of aluminum foil on the counter and pour the beets right in the center.  Put the rosemary sprig whole on top, if using.  Wrap the aluminum around the beets and close tightly.  Put in a baking dish and cook for between 1 hour and 15 minutes and 1 hour and 30 minutes.  Open carefully and enjoy that sweet deliciousness!

2 comments:

  1. The only beets that I've ever tried are pickled beets and the jury is still out on thoses. I'll have to try these and see. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am so with you - I love beets once I learned to make them from fresh. I love them roasted, in stews, chopped up in a salad - oh how I love them!

    ReplyDelete