Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Bit on Cleaners

Since my $60 per week grocery budget also includes cleaning supplies and paper products, I'll pass along my two cents worth on cleaners.  Ha ha.  Many cleaning products are a virtual black hole of cash.  There are a few, however, that I really find work great and are very cost effective.  Also, since I like things to SMELL good, I opt out of the "use vinegar to clean everything you own" crowd.

There are some great cleaner concentrates out there.  They are all-purpose disinfectants.  Right now, we're using a lovely citrusy something or other by Lysol, that I got for 65 cents with a coupon.  There are several brands that work really well.  Follow the usage directions on the back of the container to dilute and put it in your own spray bottle.  It is multi-purpose and works great on just about everything in the bathroom and kitchen.  I usually only have to buy 3 or 4 per year to clean almost everything.

Keep in mind that most mirrors can be cleaned with a microfiber cloth and nothing but water or "elbow grease".  But, like I said, I love cleaners that smell good, so I admit to buying floral scented Windex with a coupon.  Most people (me included, usually, ahem) use way more than is necessary for cleaning mirrors, so try cutting back a little to optimize savings.

Last of all, I've found that micro fiber cleaning cloths are definitely worth the buy.  They are washable, durable, and great for just about everything.  Check out your local Dollar Tree.  They often sell them by the truckload.  Have fun spiffing up !

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tips! I had never thought to put that multipurpose cleaner that I got on sale, with a coupon, in a spray bottle. For light cleaning, I fill a spary bottle with water and add a few teaspoons of regular dish soap. Not a disinfectant, but it cleans well.

    ReplyDelete