Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Bit on Chiles

Happy Cinco de Mayo!  Plan something Mexican for this week, because most grocery stores have great sales on Mexican foods and ingredients this week.  I've run by several recipes using chiles, most of them calling for canned green chiles.  I have actually found it much cheaper to use fresh!  Chiles are sold by the pound in the stores around here (around $3/lb.), but since they weigh next to nothing, they are actually really cheap.  Since we are completely wimpy when it comes to hot stuff, I never use more than one.  It usually ends up being about 12 cents per large jalapeno.

One note...for you sensitive-skinned beauties...wear plastic gloves while you're chopping them.  And by all means, don't rub your eyes for several hours afterward.  Don't ask me how I know...

So, check out your local supply of chiles.  They're great in chili, guacamole, fresh pico de gallo, fresh salsa, soups, enchiladas, and all things Mexican. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the ALDI's tips earlier. We are trying something new, we got more than I thought for less $$$$$.

    ReplyDelete