Wednesday, April 27, 2011

On Buying Bulk

Here are a few thoughts I've had on buying things in bulk.  I know a lot of "cheapies" are really into buying things in bulk, and that can save quite a bit.  However, I've found that not everything comes cheaper in bulk, particularly if you are a couponer.  With some things, you actually are better off buying three separate packages...or, if you have a son who eats like ours, seven or eight packages.

Here is a list of food items that are worth buying in bulk in our area:

Cheese (we buy it 5# at a time at Sam's Club or GFS)
Tomato Sauce/ Crushed Tomatoes (great for all things pasta sauce, pizza sauce, Mexican)
Dried Beans (great prices at Aldi)
Flour
Brown Sugar
Powdered Sugar
Vanilla Extract
Rice
Meats (every grocery store has a cheaper family pack price, use a little, freeze the rest)
Citrus Fruits, especially oranges and grapefruit
Canned Fruit...as long as you don't mind eating it steadily for a week or so, the huge cans are a great deal
Heavy Cream...if you've a mind to really amp up your calories!
Block Parmesan, Romano, or Asiago cheese
Yogurt...flavors are more limited, but you really save when you don't buy individual cups
Yeast

Many of these items are staples for us that we try to keep around all the time.  We plan many meals around them, to optimize our savings.  I'll try to highlight some of these ingredients in the upcoming recipes I post.  Stay with me, Followers!  I'll eventually get a lot of information on the blog!

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the continued info. Saving $$$ at the grocery seems more important every time I go to the store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In addition, one of my favorite bulk buys . . . yeast.

    ReplyDelete