Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Corned Beef

Yes, yes, I know.  This isn't for everyone.  Corned beef is extremely polarizing, unless of course, you happen to be Irish, then it's your duty to like it.  It is, however, at the heart of that loveable sandwich, the Reuben, which I've been known to go for when my husband isn't around to smell my sauerkraut breath.

I usually hold off on the cabbage and cook it separately.  It gets pretty soggy in with the meat.  I'll post my cabbage cooking method at another time when I'm feeling especially Polish.  Here's how to make corned beef and potatoes, in honor of my Dad, who just showed up with a cooler of it last month...he lives where it goes on sale for $1.49/lb all the time!

Corned Beef
1 corned beef brisket, 3 1/2 pounds, trimmed and rinsed
6-8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
6 large carrots, peeled and halved
1 onion, sliced thickly

Put the corned beef in a slow cooker, fat side up.  Top with the vegetables, and add just enough water to cover everything.  Sprinkle with the included seasoning packet.

Cover and cook until fork tender.  For me it's about 4 hours on high, then 4 hours on low.  If you'll be out, go for about 12 hours on low.  Slice thinly against the grain.

1 comment:

  1. I won't be dreaming of a White Christmas tonight, I'll be dreaming of a stacked Reuben.

    ReplyDelete